When it comes down to it, the password you use to get access to our site or your email is extremely crucial. A lot of sites require that passwords meet certain criteria to access the content on them, but it's also important for you to keep passwords you use to access your site as secure as possible. Here are some guidelines to keep in mind when selecting a password:
- Mix capital and lower case letters
- Use numbers and special characters
- Try to use passwords that are more than 8 characters
- Don't use sequential numbers or letters of the alphabet or the keyboard. Eg. Stay away from 1234, asdf, abcd, etc. type of patterns.
- Use a passphrase instead of just a password. By using a phrase, you can get a longer password which when combined with the other tips will help ensure a secure password.
Over at the Lifehacker website, they did a great article with an infographic that showed several tips to use and also some very interesting statistics about passwords. Stay cyber-safe with a strong password!